Uber drivers may be slammed with $110,000 fine,

Offences committed outside Victoria
busdriver

Uber drivers may be slammed with $110,000 fine,

Postby busdriver » Thu May 01, 2014 2:09 am

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadge ... 6901163808

Thinking of accepting cash for giving somebody a lift, well don't! Have read of this article.

Gravy

Re: Uber drivers may be slammed with $110,000 fine,

Postby Gravy » Thu May 01, 2014 10:24 am

Hmmm...

There's a reason the taxi industry is regulated. Whilst a $110k fine is just a little steep, accepting a fare for carrying passengers in a car is kind of the definition of a taxi. I'm not so keen on having unlicenced and totally unregulated taxis running around all over the shop. I don't have a problem with cracking down on the organised fare-for-travel side of things. Genuine carpooling apps are a completely different case and really a brilliant idea that should be encouraged by government.

busdriver

Re: Uber drivers may be slammed with $110,000 fine,

Postby busdriver » Thu May 01, 2014 3:43 pm

Gravy wrote:Hmmm...

There's a reason the taxi industry is regulated. Whilst a $110k fine is just a little steep, accepting a fare for carrying passengers in a car is kind of the definition of a taxi. I'm not so keen on having unlicenced and totally unregulated taxis running around all over the shop. I don't have a problem with cracking down on the organised fare-for-travel side of things. Genuine carpooling apps are a completely different case and really a brilliant idea that should be encouraged by government.

There is good reason why public passenger services are regulated, you don't want just anyone driving them. As my username suggests I work in the industry and every 3 years I need to pass a medical to the AusRoads Standard, pass working with Children and Criminal Check and acceptable driving history. I don't think i'd really want to get any sort of public passenger service with someone behind the wheel without these checks.

The problem with this app is, it is basically a "so-called taxi service", just last night ad popped my facebook feed saying I could earn upto $35 hour using this service.

Return to “Interstate and foreign driving issues”