Moving to NSW during a 12 month option 1 period

Offences committed outside Victoria
Pam C

Moving to NSW during a 12 month option 1 period

Postby Pam C » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:33 pm

Hello

I have recently accumulated 12 points here in Victoria and will choose option, so that I can continue to drive as long as I don't get any more demerit points. I will be moving to NSW before the 12 months is up (probably with about 3 months to go). Am I right in interpreting the information to mean that whilst driving in NSW on my Victorian licence, that the police there cannot put any points on that licence? It's not that I want to have carte blanche to do as I please in NSW, it's just that it would take a bit of the pressure off me.

Would I be better off changing my licence to a NSW one as soon as I get there? Or, as I suspect from what I have read here, would they know that I am 3 months away from having a clean slate again? What is my best option?

busdriver

Re: Moving to NSW during a 12 month option 1 period

Postby busdriver » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:03 am

You should have a read of this if you intend to drive in NSW.
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/usingroads/pe ... _faqs.html

Roads and Maritime Services Website wrote:What if I hold a licence from another state or territory and commit a driving offence in NSW?

You will be required to pay the fine in NSW. Where the offence is a relevant offence, details of the offence will be sent to your home state and included on your driving record. Your home state will determine the number of demerit points to be applied and will suspend your licence if the offence(s) causes you to exceed your demerit point limit. If you are suspended by your home state, you cannot drive in NSW.

Roads and Maritime Services also maintains a register of your offences committed in NSW. If you commit offences that attract a value of 13 or more points in a three-year period, Roads and Maritime Services may withdraw your right to drive in NSW.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:19 am

Get a nsw licence and you won't complete your 12 months option, so it will resume when you regain a vic licence.
Keep a vic licence and you will have to stay clean for another 3 months while you are in nsw.

Pam C

Postby Pam C » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:29 pm

Thanks for the response. So let me get this straight - if I am not planning to return to Victoria, I should get a NSW licence straight away, answer truthfully that I am not suspended in any other state and start again with a new licence and a clean slate. Is that how it will work?

Return to “Interstate and foreign driving issues”