Car overtaking bikes in the same lane of road

& other vehicles including Pedalecs, Carts & Horses.
michael

Car overtaking bikes in the same lane of road

Postby michael » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:18 pm

I was riding with nine others on the road last week in social formation (two riders side by side, and 5 riders deep). Traffic was light. We where riding in the centre of our lane (with all bikes contained within our lane boundaries) with the bike on the left about one third of the lane from the left side of the lane and the rider on the right about one third of a lane in from the right side of the lane. There were three marked lanes for forward travel and we were in the left lane. We pulled up to some traffic lights and there were cars next to us in the middle and right hand lanes. Whilst the lights were still red, a vehicle approached from behind and squeezed up next to us a few inches way - this vehicle squeezed itself between our bikes in the left lane and the car in the middle lane. This vehicle took up about a metre and a half of our lane and a metre and a half of the middle lane. The marked lane that the vehicle straddled was a continuous line and he straddled it for about 30 metres.

After the lights turned green, the vehicle accelerated past us, just touching the rider at the front of our group who was riding about 100cm further to the right than the rest of us (no damage to his bike and no-one hurt), and then the vehicle swerved to the left in front of the whole bunch whilst simultaneously indicating left.

The vehicle then stopped on the left side of the road. As I rode past on the vehicle's right, the vehicle started moving again as I was going past it and sped up to my speed and rode at my speed disallowing me to overtake for about 10 seconds - the driver was trying to engage in discussion with the bike behind me, and I accelerated well clear (about 10 meters) in front of the car. Then the car came past me again on my right, this time in the lane I was riding in, causing me to move off onto the shoulder of the road.

My questions are:
1. Are there any possible offences relating to driving between the two lanes of traffic. If so what?
2. Are there any possible offences relating to the close pass where his vehicle touched one of the riders. If so what?
3. is there any possible offence when he left the side of the road as I was passing him. If so what?
4. is there any possible offence when he passed me again forcing me to move off the road to avoid a collision?
5. Is there any possible offence for straddling a continuous line?
6. Are there any other possible offences.

Note it was all captured on bike mounted cameras.

At this stage, Victoria Police have said the only possible offence was the first close pass, but that the rider contributed to the vehicle's close pass by being too wide in the lane, so they are not prepared to go any further with the matter.

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Car overtaking bikes in the same lane of road

Postby Hardy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:33 pm

The motorist was driving unlawfully and you should report it to the police. There are numerous offences but the police will see that if they watch the video. And it is not limited to the Road Rule breaches. It includes dangerous driving and possibly conduct endangering serious injury. Whenever a car tries that - trying to share your lane at the lights - I prefer to pull up right in front of them at the stop line and reclaim my lane. By law, each cyclist could have taken one lane each and occupied the whole road. I don’t know why some drivers get upset when you leave them two lanes.

michael

Postby michael » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:45 pm

Thanks so much Sean. The local police station we took the video to said by email to us that "the only possible offence was the first close pass, but that the rider contributed to the vehicle's close pass by being too wide in the lane, so they are not prepared to go any further with the matter". How do we get police to take this up - do we appeal to the commanding officer at that police station, or take it to the regional traffic police who might be more knowledgeable about road laws?

oscar

Postby oscar » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:21 pm

You are clearly exaggerating to make your 'case' stronger. Typical cyclist wanker. (Sean was probably riding with you)

If the vehicle took up 1.5m of your lane and 1.5m of another lane, then it's the widest car in Victoria, by some margin.

A RAM 1500 is 2018mm wide. A Holden Commonwhore is 1898mm. My Euro hot hatch 1875mm.

So 50% out so far. I suspect the rest of your story is 50% in your favour also.

How about you upload your footage so we can get an unbiased view?

Just my opinion.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:49 pm

In my experience police don't ever take action when a driver interferes with a cyclist unless there has been a collision. They are simply not interested in booking a motorist who cuts off a cyclist. Perhaps it's because they would need to double the size of the police force if they chased up every motorist who failed to give way etc.

There is no such thing as riding too wide in a lane within a multi-lane carriageway. The rule that a driver must keep to the left of the road does not apply to multi-lane carriageways:
http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/ ... /s129.html
There is no road rule that says cyclists must keep to the left of a lane.
On a multi-lane road a driver or a cyclist is entitled to occupy exclusively any of those lanes, and is required to drive or ride within a single lane:
http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/ ... /s146.html
So on a multi-lane road, a cyclist is entitled to ride in exactly the same manner as a motorcyclist, including riding two abreast:
http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/ ... /s151.html`

As for forcing police to do something, all you can do is complain to the ombudsman and your local MP.
If you are riding two abreast (or even alone) on a multi-lane road it is best if you occupy the whole lane and don’t leave any room for other vehicles to share it with you. This is particularly important when there is a large vehicle in the lane to your right. You don’t want any car to try to squeeze between you and a truck.

allde

Postby allde » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:04 pm

oscar wrote:You are clearly exaggerating to make your 'case' stronger. Typical cyclist wanker. (Sean was probably riding with you)

If the vehicle took up 1.5m of your lane and 1.5m of another lane, then it's the widest car in Victoria, by some margin.

A RAM 1500 is 2018mm wide. A Holden Commonwhore is 1898mm. My Euro hot hatch 1875mm.

I'm deeply offended by your post oscar, It deeply troubles me that you drive a "Euro hot hatch", as a police officer your taste is awful.

oscar

Postby oscar » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:06 pm

Ha ! Weird pick up, but made me smile.

What's parked in your garage?

allde

Postby allde » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:22 pm

My daily driver is a Ford BF wagon in the drive, currently l have a 2010 vrod Muscle in the garage.

Glad I could give you smile.

oscar

Postby oscar » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:12 pm

Subtle ... no ... scary looking thing

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAI

I assume it's nice and quiet and doesn't go over the limit :wink:

allde

Postby allde » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:26 pm

We'll just say she has stage 2 mods, sounds nice but no were near as loud as some of the Harley's are.

That ear droning drove me nuts, so I actually reduced the baffle diameter and repacked them.

I'm assuming your a TOG Oscar, I've been riding with a full face since a kid, always had the visor tinted.

Never really an issue since I won't ride a night, do you Guys still have a issue with tinted visors?

oscar

Postby oscar » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:39 pm

Me, no.

Others, yes.

Return to “Bicycles”