Cyclists need license plates-markings

FarSur81

Cyclists need license plates-markings

Postby FarSur81 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:07 am

Hi,
Since I have nearly had 2 cyclists as hood ornaments, not to mention the copious youtube videos of cyclists ignoring red lights, etc, I am wanting to write a letter to my member of Vic Parliament, requesting that cyclists be required to display a license plate or markings.
My Ideas
1a. As most cyclists wear lightweight clothing, the 'markings' can be stitched onto material they wear.
1b. This is useful for children whom are not old enough to own a vehicle.

2. The registration be attached (where possible) to an existing 'family' vehicle, registered to the home address of the cyclists.
Maybe a small $10+GST for each additional registered person (Child or adult).

3. If an offence is observed or photographed, appropriate actions may take place, for identification purposes.

Any suggestions on what sections of RSA need to be amended for this?

I ask, as children don't have a license, but are still required to obey by laws that they have never been tested for. This small fact may complicate things.
Thanks

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Cyclists need license plates-markings

Postby Hardy » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:03 pm

Considering the police do SFA when I make a report about a registered motor vehicle committing offences, what hope is there that they will react to a complaint about a cyclist even if they are displaying a registration number?

FarSur81

Postby FarSur81 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:43 pm

True.
My 50 odd complaints, have gone without a reply, even though 30second footage of a popular stop intersection sees 3 out of 4 vehicles NOT stopping. Great for any Police Officer needing to "get their quoter". Directly heard from a police officer

I was thinking more along the lines of dangerous riding, and as most younger people don't carry identification, a license plate-markings would make things easier for notifications.

My other main concern is the increase in number of Traffic offences being committed, due to congestion, people expected to travel further for employment, Maybe tiredness due to gaming, late night TV. If we all, well, some of us make enough noise about the police SFA attitude, and highlight areas of improvement, and present this to a members of parliament..... Hopefully change.

I still have the occasional night terror of a CFA call out to a traffic accident, and dead bodies throughout the carnage. 2 Helicopters and 3 ambulances was needed. 5 blankets/bodies. <--- This shit has to stop

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:40 am

night terror of a CFA call out to a traffic accident, and dead bodies throughout the carnage. 2 Helicopters and 3 ambulances was needed. 5 blankets/bodies. <--- This shit has to stop

Hope the cyclist was OK. :!:

benny

Postby benny » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:36 am

sorry but, this is worse than having cyclists get regos

[ img ]

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:37 am

Shorts below the knees - what was he thinking?

Gravy

Postby Gravy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:59 am

I want to write "at least he's trying to get fit", but there's actually no evidence that he is. They're not cleats on his feet, so for all we know he's just a fan dressed in his team's colours.

Shred

Postby Shred » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:51 am

Ever tried to read a motor bike’s rego plate as it goes past, or get it from a dashcam video? It’s pretty much impossible and bicycles would be the same.

Now consider the difficulty in identifying the rider. The registration number tells you who the registered owner is, but it doesn’t identify the rider at the time of the offense. You don’t need a key to start a bicycle, so all the owner has to say is “I left my bike at my mate’s place and someone must have borrowed it” and he’s off the hook.

Registerig bicycles has been tried and has been an expensive failure in other countries. It would also conflict with some long standing principles in our society. We register a gun, but not a bow and arrow. We register jet skis and power boats, but we don’t register sailing dinghies or yachts.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:23 am

More importantly, it wouldn’t save lives or money.
Bearing a registration plate has not stopped motorists from breaching road rules but somehow it’s going to work for cyclists?
In my 30 years of doing this the only time I get cases of police chasing down drivers via registration plates is for hit and run accidents, or cases of dangerous driving that were captured on camera or which police observed - e.g a police pursuit.

LEO

Postby LEO » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:31 pm

Shred wrote:Registerig bicycles has been tried and has been an expensive failure in other countries. It would also conflict with some long standing principles in our society. We register a gun, but not a bow and arrow. We register jet skis and power boats, but we don’t register sailing dinghies or yachts.

Registering of activities is generally based on risk of activity, the need for the regulation (what society wants), cost benefit + politics.

It would be very easy to regulate bicycles and riders. Look how easy it's been to force people to wear masks or impose a curfew.

LEO

Postby LEO » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:42 pm

Hardy wrote:More importantly, it wouldn’t save lives or money.
Bearing a registration plate has not stopped motorists from breaching road rules

Abosulte rubbish it's stopped the majority from doing it, was never intended to stop everyone.

Hardy wrote:In my 30 years of doing this the only time I get cases of police chasing down drivers via registration plates is for hit and run accidents, or cases of dangerous driving that were captured on camera or which police observed - e.g a police pursuit.

You come across a tiny percentage of offences in the scheme of things and mostly offences where people believe they can get off it.

Hardly an acturate representation.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:30 pm

I am aware of one case where police issued an infringement notice to a driver who ran a stop sign and almost had an accident and it was caught on dashcam. I'm pretty sure the police aren't knocking on the doors of dozens of registered operators every day chasing up minor offences that accrue no points and do not impact drivers licences which is why I never hear about them. VicPol issue about 100 cycling fines per week and more than half of those are for failing to wear a helmet, and the next most common is riding without lights. The most common excuse? Can't afford to buy one. Hardly the sort of stuff that registration is going to solve.
- "What's your reason for riding a bike without a helmet?"
- "Spent my last dollar on bike registration".

Gravy

Postby Gravy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:50 am

Bicycle registration will just push cyclists of their bikes and back in to either trains or cars. Commuting drivers are (generally) nuts and would cut their nose off to spite their face; a person who rides their bike instead of drives removes a car from the road in front of you. Multiply that by the number of commuter cyclists and it's a substantial number of vehicles that has a tangible impact on everything from commute time to parking availability.

If bicycle registration is introduced, peak hour traffic will be worse and public transport will be more crowded. Public health is worse on multiple levels. Fewer kids will be out riding and it hits lower SES households much harder, particularly when they get around on a bike because they can't afford a car. There may be a minor change in enforcement, but the trade off is absolutely not worth it. It won't help a thing.

FarSur81

Postby FarSur81 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:30 pm

Hardy wrote:I am aware of one case where police issued an infringement notice to a driver who ran a stop sign and almost had an accident and it was caught on dashcam. I'm pretty sure the police aren't knocking on the doors of dozens of registered operators every day chasing up minor offences that accrue no points and do not impact drivers licences which is why I never hear about them. VicPol issue about 100 cycling fines per week and more than half of those are for failing to wear a helmet, and the next most common is riding without lights. The most common excuse? Can't afford to buy one. Hardly the sort of stuff that registration is going to solve.
- "What's your reason for riding a bike without a helmet?"
- "Spent my last dollar on bike registration".

My main suggestion wasn't for individual $500 registration or plates.
I was thinking more along the lines of a stitch on registration plate. example. Your child rides a bike to school. You, the adult have a vehicle registered to you, at the same house that the child lives. (Not going into split families or multiple dads). You make up or have made up a simple reflective, or iron-on of your car registration onto a suitable reflective top. Maybe add something like dash 1 or dash a at the end. You inform the roads department, unless the government brings out some new triplicate forms or failed online thing. You, maybe (needs a vote) pay lets say $5.50 inc GST, ontop of the current vehicles rego per number of bicycles you wish to register. Most people don't swap bikes around, and if they do, they swap the reflective-licensed top. It's just as easy as putting on a bike helmet.
I've heard from several enthusiast bike riders, that as they don't need a license to ride a bicycle, they don't usually carry their wallet-purse. So If you are injured, whom do the police inform?

Shred

Postby Shred » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:49 pm

So I have my stitched on rego number on one of my many cycling “tops”, then I put my backpack on to ride to work. Oops. Now you can’t read the number. Ok, we’ll put it on the backpack... but then it starts to rain, so I pull out the rain cover that’s built in to my Deuter backpack. Now the number can’t be seen again.

Before trying to tell cyclists what they should do, I suggest you clock up a few thousand kilometers of commuting by bike. You’ll realise just how silly and counter productive the idea of registering cyclists actually is in the real world.

In any case, a law breaking cyclist on their 10 kg vehicle is mostly a danger to themselves, unlike the law breaking motorist in their motorised 1500 kg metal cage, who is a danger to everything and everyone.

And re “most people don’t swap bikes around”, I think not. Maybe most car drivers who occasionally ride a bike around a park on a Sunday only have the one bike. I ride three different bikes regularly and some cyclists have many more than that.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:47 am

Anyone who thinks registering cyclists is going to improve anything at all is dreaming.
Many enthusiast bike riders are members of Cycling Victoria and carry the small CV membership id tag in their spares kit. It also has your next of kin telephone number on it. Some even stick it on their bike.
I just did a bike audit. 5 ridable, 1 out for minor repairs, 1 off for a major rebuild/restoration.

Gravy

Postby Gravy » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:01 am

FarSur81 wrote:I've heard from several enthusiast bike riders, that as they don't need a license to ride a bicycle, they don't usually carry their wallet-purse. So If you are injured, whom do the police inform?

Registration numbers provide precisely zero information about the driver and zero information about their next of kin. Registering bikes won't change the fact that one does not require a licence to ride it, so your this point doesn't help your argument.

When I was riding I would always carry ID with me (but never my entire wallet) and my phone which has emergency contact details in it, but that's just me.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:38 am

I'm struggling to think of any occasion in the last 150 years when anyone has had difficulty treating an injured road user because they were unable to state their own name and address.

FarSur81

Postby FarSur81 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:06 am

Hardy wrote:I'm struggling to think of any occasion in the last 150 years when anyone has had difficulty treating an injured road user because they were unable to state their own name and address.

Assuming it is the cyclist that was injured due to carless driver
What if I am pulling through an intersection, and some cyclist just rides straight through against traffic lights, at speed. I slam on my brakes to avoid the cyclist, and if the driver behind me, doesn't???
Who provides me with treatment as the unknown wanker on a bicycle, didn't want there heart rate to drop.

Everyone has provided me with enough material for me to disregard this avenue, and just ignore cyclists whom choose to ignore the road rules.

Gravy

Postby Gravy » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:54 pm

FarSur81 wrote:and just ignore cyclists whom choose to ignore the road rules.
I trust you mean 'ignore' as in try to forget about it and get on with your own life, and not 'ignore' as in not bother to avoid a collision if you think you don't have to give way to a cyclist.

You know, because the penalty for a cyclist failing to give way or stop at a stop sign is not death.

FarSur81 wrote:What if I am pulling through an intersection, and some cyclist just rides straight through against traffic lights, at speed. I slam on my brakes to avoid the cyclist, and if the driver behind me, doesn't???
That would be the fault of the driver behind you.

Return to “Legislation, laws and law reform”