Cross border interlock.

Licence restoration, Zero Condition etc
Unsureinnsw

Cross border interlock.

Postby Unsureinnsw » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:40 am

Hi

I've searched the forums and read dozens of posts but having trouble finding anything definitive that isn't out of date!
Great site by the way :)

So, I live in NSW with NSW licence and have been charged with drink driving in Victoria.
I'm yet to receive the summons but I'm aware it's bye bye licence for some time.
Reading was .102 with a prior offence 8 years ago.
I'm also aware NSW will match my disqualification with the Victorian courts disqualify me.

My question is!
As I have no Vic licence and don't intend to, will I need to meet the interlock relicensing conditions in NSW?
Or will I just be able to drive again on the date the disqualification is up in Victoria?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Cross border interlock.

Postby Hardy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:35 pm

When your disqualification time is finished, you will cease to be a disqualified driver in Victoria, so NSW should re-instate your NSW DL.
It is much worse than that for Victorians who commit serious drink driving offences in NSW. NSW will disqualify the Victorian driver for 5 years and only reduce that period once the driver has completed all the interlock steps in NSW, which effectively means they need to get a licence with an interlock condition in NSW even though they are not resident in NSW and therefore not eligible to hold one.

Unsureinnsw

Postby Unsureinnsw » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:39 pm

I have just been informed by the RTA (rang anonymously) that they will match what ever interlock condition a Victorian court imposes.
Guess I'll have to just wait and see.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:58 pm

That's good news - a Victorian court is never going to impose an interlock condition on you.

Unsureinnsw

Postby Unsureinnsw » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:02 pm

Really?!
It's my second offence in Victoria in ten years :(
I was under the assumption it was mandatory in Victoria to have to get aninterlock to get your licence back?
Not that I'll want a Victorian licence anyway, but the RTA reckon I'll have to satisfy Victoria before they'll entertain my request to be relicenced.
Although, it was pretty clear they had no idea what they were saying.

I appreciate your input.
Scouring forums can be pretty frustrating.

Unsureinnsw

Postby Unsureinnsw » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:11 pm

Another thing that may be worth mentioning, they have me from a blood test not breath. Which was taking 7 hours after the incident.
I did have an accident where no one but myself was injured.
I hit a tree.
I've heard about the 3 hour rule but I'm assuming there's something in the legislation I've missed.
Just thought I'd throw it in realising it does not paint a positive picture of me!
But hey we all make mistakes and I'd value your thoughts on that.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:22 am

If you apply for a Victorian licence you will need to go to court in Victoria where an interlock is inevitable.
If you are applying for a NSW licence you don't need to go to a court in Victoria. You go to the RMS (not the RTA). The RMS can't give you an interlock condition. If you read my first post this is what I have been telling you all along.
If you want to win your drink driving case, then make an appointment for a conference after you have the charge and summons.

Return to “Relicensing & Interlocks”