TUMPED

Joseph1980

TUMPED

Postby Joseph1980 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:26 pm

Hi,
I got pulled over on Saturday morning for allegedly doing 97 in a 70 Zone. I do admit to speeding but I was not doing 97. My speed was approx 85. I told the officer that I didn’t agree with his speed I asked how he measured my speed & he said he used his Calibrated Speedo. I want to challenge this Infringement as I’m facing a 3 month suspension. Firstly I would like to know if you think I have a case? Secondly What costs are involved in engaging a Solicitor or a Barrister to defend me?
Thanks In Advance

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: TUPMED

Postby Hardy » Wed May 29, 2019 6:45 am

Firstly I would like to know if you think I have a case?

First, you should take this to court regardless whether anyone thinks you have a case. Lawyers need to assess the police case, not the defendant's case, so it is too early to say whether you should aim for an acquittal or a reduction or just give up. Every defendant in a speeding case, especially a TUPMED, has a chance of winning or getting a better result in court.

The cost of a lawyer will be somewhere between $1,500 and $5,500. The higher the cost the greater the chance of you getting reimbursed legal costs when you win. The chance of winning is determined after investigating the police case.

Joseph1980

Re: TUPMED

Postby Joseph1980 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:31 am

Thanks for the reply Hardy,
Regarding the prices that you quoted are they what your Practice charge? Also if the Infringement is down graded to a lesser charge by the Magistrate or the Police Prosecutor is that considered a win so I can claim costs?

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: TUMPED

Postby Hardy » Wed May 29, 2019 1:04 pm

You will only get legal costs ordered in your favour when the charge is dismissed. That usually requires a defended hearing and costs over $4,500. If you are found guilty of speeding there is a very low chance that you will get a costs order in your favour. The only thing that you need to worry about at the moment is finding a stamp so you can send back your court election.

Joseph1980

Postby Joseph1980 » Wed May 29, 2019 1:26 pm

I will send off the Infringement today & I will give you a call. Thanks for the advice.

Boki

Postby Boki » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:17 am

Hardy wrote:You will only get legal costs ordered in your favour when the charge is dismissed. If you are found guilty of speeding there is a very low chance that you will get a costs order in your favour.

Come on Hardy, have a bit more faith in yourself.
I remember sending you someone a few years back, police refused the a 6-month / impound fee-refund / 35 to 44 TUPMED case at the conference before the hearing as they were chasing 12-month / keeping impound $$$ / < 45.
Took it to the hearing and the magi was satisfied with 35 - 44 km/h. All costs recovered.

Joseph1980

Postby Joseph1980 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:07 am

*UPDATE*
Sean got my fine reduced & helped me keep my license. You will not find a better person to represent & bat for you in court. Sean was fairly priced & a true professional. I cant recommend him enough. Thanks Sean :D

LEO

Postby LEO » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:44 pm

Joseph1980 wrote:*UPDATE*
Sean got my fine reduced & helped me keep my license. You will not find a better person to represent & bat for you in court. Sean was fairly priced & a true professional. I cant recommend him enough. Thanks Sean :D

So what was the all up cost for your case including the fine?

Return to “Other methods of detection”