Crossing Double White lines

allde

Crossing Double White lines

Postby allde » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:46 pm

As the heading says, when is it permissible to drive across double white lines?
E.g the garbage truck is in front if you, stopping regularly, double white lines in the middle if the road for the next kilometre or two.
Same goes with the bike rider that refuses to move over, you need the 1.5 metre gap between you and them.
To pass you have to cross the double white lines or wait for 1.5 kilometres till they change to broken.

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Crossing Double White lines

Postby Hardy » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:31 pm

http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/ ... /s139.html
The issue is whether another vehicle moving on the road is an obstruction and it is necessary to avoid it.

"obstruction" includes a traffic hazard, but does not include a vehicle only because the vehicle is stopped in traffic or is travelling more slowly than other vehicles.

bluerocket

Postby bluerocket » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:52 am

A push bike, a tractor, a backhoe, if they're moving, even at walking pace are not an obstruction, and therefore you should not cross unbroken white lines to overtake them, that's what a cop told me when I asked. Nobody seems to understand it the same way though, try following a backhoe through the Dandenongs for 10 minutes waiting for broken lines with a million angry cars behind you.

allde

Postby allde » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:19 pm

Yep, I know what your saying Bluerocket, it seems logic and reason don't apply if it impieds a monetary fine.

Return to “Other traffic offences”