fairly strange situation.. or maybe not, i'm not sure

unexpect

fairly strange situation.. or maybe not, i'm not sure

Postby unexpect » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:02 am

Hey, I'd really appreciate a little help with what I should do with this...

In September last year I had the most minor fender-bender in the history of Victoria. I admitted liability on the scene, it was my bad, whatever. Neither car looked damaged, I exchanged names, contact numbers and licence plate numbers with the woman I bumped into. We were on the freeway in stand still traffic, so she said she would check her car better in the next couple of days and let me know if there was any damage she was going to get fixed, I told her we should just do it out of insurance and if there was anything I'd pay for it in cash, and she said that was fine and she'd let me know.

So, I didn't hear anything back from her, wasn't really expecting to anyway, and I thought it was over.

Then in March I got a call from her insurer who going on about how I'm going to have to pay for this no matter how long I avoid their notices and the more I avoid them the more fee is charged to me (that was actually along the lines of his opening statement). I asked him what he was talking about and he said it was in relation to an accident in September and they've been sending notices to my address in St Kilda and I've been ignoring them etc etc etc. I never gave her my address and I do not even live anywhere close to St Kilda, he tried to make me pay over the phone but I asked him to send me some paperwork because it was the first time I'd heard anything about this after the accident and I would've liked to actually see what was happening, so I gave him my real address.

Soooo no paperwork was ever sent and I assumed that that in conjunction with the insurer guy just sounding dodgy that the call was a scam, but no, another five months later I've just received a letter from a debt collection company telling me I have to pay $500+ to the insurer and this going to affect my credit rating etc etc etc.

Should I just pay the money and end it now? Or does the complete lack of communication here and the fact I have literally no idea what I'm paying $500+ exactly for suggest I should do something else? And if so what?

Thanks guys, I'd really appreciate any help on this one

Comrade Ash

Re: fairly strange situation.. or maybe not, i'm not sure

Postby Comrade Ash » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:45 am

unexpect wrote: I never gave her my address and I do not even live anywhere close to St Kilda,

Isn't address one of the two things that you MUST give when exchanging details?

Chef2

Postby Chef2 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:50 am

Correct

unexpect

Postby unexpect » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:01 pm

Yeah, I know now that it is, but I guess neither of us knew that at the time.
It was a pretty hurried exchange, and I was anticipating that I'd just get a call from her in the next 48 hours..

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:13 pm

Perhaps you should call the insurance company and ask them what the cost of repairs are. Sounds like they want you to pay for it and aren't going to give up. Also, they may want to serve you with court papers and are trying to find an address to serve you at.

Return to “Insurance”