Rear-end claim

Tray

Rear-end claim

Postby Tray » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:34 pm

I have just been involved in my first accident and really appreciate any advice, particularly with regards to my insurance premium.

Basically, I rear-ended a car that stopped unexpectedly. There are no damages to my front (I stopped in time and we just had a minimal bump), but his car suffered a dent and a crackline developed.

Moreover, by the driver's own admission, he had been involved in another very similar accident recently and the rear bumper "had just been fixed".

However, my friends told me that there is usually no point in contesting the claim because in cases of rear-ending, the back driver is always at fault.

Anyway, I have a $0 excess policy so I'm covered in that aspect, but I'm wondering how much on average my premium would increase by because of this accident?

So, really my question is:
1. At I am fault? Do I have a case against the claim.
2. Should I pay out of my own pocket, or file a claim?

Thanks for your help!

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:51 pm

Sounds like you are at fault.

Your insurer will decide that question if you claim.

To find out whether the claim will affect your premiums you will need to give your insurer a call.

MickG

Postby MickG » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:07 pm

Check your inbox.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:37 pm

If you rear-end a guy who had stopped suddenly in front of you to yell abuse at the driver of the car which had stopped next to him in the right turn lane, that might make a difference :P

Return to “Insurance”